Popular Post

Monday, October 25, 2010

The King's Speech: I Would Never Want to be Royal, Says Helena Bonham Carter


Helena Bonham Carter said this week that after making her new movie 'The King's Speech' she would never want to be a member of the royal family.

The actress plays the wife of King George VI, played by Colin Firth, as he is thrust into the spotlight after his brother abdicates the throne.

Speaking at a London Film Festival press conference, she said, "I think this film gives us a completely new angle, or a fresh angle, on a very famous period in history for us – the abdication. The abdication came very close to a proper crisis in the monarchy.

"The pressure on this man and the personal crisis, that was totally new to me. It's a story about the most reluctant king; somebody who doesn't want to be king. So it's the duty, the responsibility, the sheer hugeness of the job.

"I certainly would never want to be royal, even though I effortlessly am at times. That was partly why I did play it, because I knew I could indulge in being queen. [Colin] was king and we could behave outrageously and it would be accepted as, 'Oh, they're just getting into part'.

"So it's enjoyable to put it on and pretend but then you can take the crown off, sling it across the room – you don't have to be the nice, smiling monarch. [My character] was extraordinary because she was a professional public figure and expert at it. She had the character and the confidence. She married a man who was not born to be king and wasn't really constitutionally meant to be king just in the way he was built.

"So you get that and then you have to do a job that you're not suited to. But luckily, I think he drew upon her confidence where he lacked it and it was a really true partnership. She was the classic woman behind the man."

No comments:

Post a Comment