Popular Post

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Never Let Me Go Author says, Movie Adaptation Taught Me a Lot About My Book

Author Kazuo Ishiguro says that watching his book Never Let Me Go turned into a movie gave him a deeper insight into his own storyline and characters.

Speaking ahead of the film's debut at the London Film Festival on October 13, the award winning novelist described the adaptation as 'a wonderful revelation'.

Addressing a press conference in London's Leicester Square, Ishiguro remarked, "I felt I learnt a lot about the story from watching the film, in particular the performances of the actors... But that's not amazing in a way because there's only one of me when I'm writing a book and I can't pay attention to all these characters and what they might be thinking and so on. I've got other things to worry about.

"Here you have a situation where you have highly creative, very talented, highly intelligent actors pondering for hours and days about each character. They're bound to find new things and interesting, profound new discoveries. So for me it was a wonderful revelation watching the early cuts.

"I think I've learnt a hell of a lot about this story and I think that's how it should be. People have said all these flattering things about the book but I don't think this story should be a fixed thing, fixed at the point of the book. I feel more like a songwriter; I've written a song and I want people to take it into new areas and do their versions."

No comments:

Post a Comment